Tuesday 26 February 2013

Gluten Free (South African) Rusk Recipe

My lovely South African husband loves it when I make him gluten free rusks. So, I thought I'd post my gluten free rusk recipe, as it took me quite a search to find a recipe, and then a few goes to adapt it to our liking. It's based it off a family recipe combined with this recipe, (with a number of changes) and out of my head.

A couple of things worth noting, even before I had little-miss-e I would set aside a whole afternoon to make these (it takes even longer now). So they are quite an undertaking, but well worth it!

Here it is: Gluten Free Rusks (all measurements are Aust. Standard)

Egg Mix:
600 ml buttermilk
4 eggs
1 Cup raw sugar

Seed Mix:
1/2 C currants
1/2 C pumpkin seeds
2 C gluten free cornflakes

Oil Mix:
1 C oil
225g melted butter

Flour Mix:
3 1/2 C white rice flour
6 1/2 C Gluten free plain flour
10 teasp xanthum gum
10 teasp baking powder
3 teasp salt


Ok so, place flour mix in a big bowl. Add seed mix and fold through. Make a well in the middle and add the egg mix and the oil mix. Stir through, then knead gently with your hands. It should be a soft dough, which kind of feels velvety from the buttermilk (I quite like the way it feels, does it show?).





Once mixed, roll into slightly-bigger-than-golf-ball sized balls and place nestled into tins lined with baking paper.

Bake for about an hour and ten minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (until golden on top).







Remove from tins and gently halve each ball, using a fork.
Place on trays and bake again at 100 degrees Celsius for 2-3 hours, until nicely brown.

Wait until cool and serve with coffee for dunking!
And then all you gluten free-bies can have:

'n lekker koppie koffie met beskuit op die stoep 
(a delicious cup of coffee and a rusk on the veranda)

3 comments:

Miss Muggins said...

Fiddly perhaps, delicious yes! They look like what I would call rock cakes, and have me craving something home baked.

Leonie said...

Mmmmm lekkerrrrrrr!!! Ek is mal oor beskuit! ;)

Unknown said...

could I flatten the dough on a baking tray and then cut it into finger shapes once baked the first time?
clarice-armando@bigpond.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails